Become a confident skipper on longer passages both during the day and at night
Option 1) Day Skipper Theory Online (£295) + Day Skipper Practical - 5 Days (€925) or 6 Day, 7 nights (€995)
Option 2) Day Skipper Theory and Practical in Corfu 14 days (€1525)
Minimum Age: 17+ (under 18, must be accompanied by an adult)
It is important to have the points below covered before you come out so we can concentrate on the practical side (sailing in the sun!).
- 15 days, 2 days as skipper, 300 miles, 8 night hours
- Sailing should be to Day Skipper Level
- Knowledge to the equivalent of RYA Coastal Skipper Theory. This can be completed on one of our online courses or a shore based version.
The RYA Coastal Skipper Course (tidal) is designed to teach the skills necessary to become a confident skipper on longer passages both during the day and at night, in tidal waters.
The course syllabus includes:
- Passage planning – thinking about longer voyages
- Preparation for sea – what to eat and drink on longer trips
- Pilotage – how to plan and enter a new harbour
- Passage making ability as a skipper – being ready for most things
- Yacht handling under sail and power – trimming the sails and mooring smoothly
- Adverse weather – what to do when it gets breezy and bumpy
- Emergency situations – knowing what to do and doing it well
The Theory part of the course can be done in two ways:
Online Theory - Complete the coursework and three exams in your own home, through a Skipper's Online course. This is probably our most popular option as you can learn at your own pace all the theory, meaning your time spend on the practical course in Corfu can be left for mainly practical exercises ands skills. The course contains around 40 hours of work.
Shore based Theory - Study the syllabus with one of our instructors and complete the exams whilst staying onboard the yacht that you will do the practical course on. Weather and time dependant, we will also try to complete some on the water skills during the first week to help merge the theory in to real life practice. If you prefer face to face learning and you have two weeks available this is the option for you.
The Practical Course does not have an exam at the end of the week, instead it comes down to an assessment by the instructor throughout the week. During the week our instructor will go through the syllabus and help you work on any points you struggle with to make sure that you have the best chance of becoming a confident skipper. We do not gaurentee a pass of this course but we will do our best to help you every step of the way!
Although the weather changes throughout the year our prices stay the same for our RYA courses. So don’t worry about avoiding the school holidays just book when it suits you!
Ellen May, Evelyn May and Catia III all have 3 double cabins and a convertible saloon meaning there is enough room to technically sleep 8. However to keep our guests comfortable we keep our training boat numbers to 5 plus the instructor, but only when cabin arrangements suit. We will not make you share a cabin with a stranger!
The prices for the course include the following:
- Yacht and instructor for the duration of the course
- Bedding and towels onboard
- Breakfast and lunch, (dinner is up to you and it is not compulsory to feed the instructor)
- All practical course material and safety equipment
- Wet weather gear.
- 2015 Outboard motor and 2014 Dinghy for the duration
- End cleaning of the yacht
Please note that we require at least 3 onboard for a course to take place. We will obviously let you know if there is a possibility of the course not going ahead at least 2 months prior to start date. The course will be fully refundable if this is the case.
You are also able to book out the entire training yacht if you would prefer one on one instruction. Please contact us for information on this as it will depend on availability of instructors and yachts.
Additional Courses that can be completed during the two weeks:
- First Aid at Work + €80
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 + €300